I had wanted to go swimming at our gym for a little bit now because it is such a good work out and especially a great workout while being pregnant. I haven't because I didn't have any goggles or cap. Plus in my mind those who do laps at the gym are super good and who wants to look like the goober of the bunch. You might be thinking "Can't you swim without goggles and a cap?" To which I would answer "Yes, but have you ever tried to do laps without them?" Without goggles my eyes burn and turn red because of the chlorine and without a cap my hair doesn't stay up very long before it works it's way down and in my way because it is so heavy. So, thanks to Mom Park I got to go swimming with goggles and a cap today!
Ben and I decided to go workout this morning and I decided to do laps in the pool. Yeah Buddy! Because of accidentally leaving my swim stuff at a family reunion last summer I only have one swim suit, which happens to be my old swim team suit from high school nine years ago. It's a nice suit but it is a racing suit which means it's meant to be tighter and squeeze everything in to be more streamline. I wondered as I pulled it out of the closet how well it would fit with my growing belly and if I would be comfortable in it. I put it on and it was nice around my belly. It wasn't too tight at all and it was actually really nice having the support. Where it wasn't so nice was up top. It of course squeezes everything in so with my belly poking out and my chest smooshed I looked more like a blob. (no picture) Since I have grown an inch since high school and now have more middle (middle that is firmer and doesn't squish as well) it was tight on my shoulders where it pulled down and I felt like it was making me hunch a little if I didn't consciously make myself have good posture. All in all it still wasn't too bad.
So off to the gym Ben and I went to workout. I went to the pool put on my cap and goggles and got to work... in the slow lane. :) I haven't swam laps for about nine years (last high school swim season was fall 1999, we went undefeated by the way) and am pregnant, you didn't think I'd get all crazy and get in the medium or fast lanes did you? The first ten laps were reminders that I haven't done this for a while and that I'm loosing stomach muscle strength because of the baby poking out. I did about three flip turns and decided to take it easier on the upset tummy and just touch the wall and push off. After the first ten I really got into a rhythm and did a little over 60 laps total. It felt so good. During the middle of my workout this young guy joined my lane who had a bit of muscle and seemed in good shape--and I totally smoked him. He had to stop every two or three laps to take a break, and I kept trucking on. I was pretty proud of myself. It turned out I wasn't a goober after all! :)
Eventually, the baby let me know that he/she was done swimming, so I just did six more laps and then got out. It was a relaxing workout, and I have felt good since then.

3 comments:
60 laps! Holy criminy! ---Donny
You are in pretty good shape. You work out a lot harder than me and you're pregnant and not feeling well. You make me feel weak. But yet you are so inspiring. I want to be just like you! --- Megan
P.S. We have your little instruction thing for banana grams. Do you need it? I will try to bring it to church if I remember.
Good for you catherine for going and swimming so many laps after such a long time. Me and john have been swimming the last couple of months a couple times a week and when we started I could barely finish a straight 500 yards, which was our warmup on swim team. We still aren't up to a ton of yards but we have been doing a straight 1000-1200 yards each time we go now. I know it still isn't anywhere near what I did in high school but something is better than nothing, right?
And good for you for going while you are pregnant. I took a water aerobics class and a lap swimming class when I was pregnant with Caleb and I LOVED them! It isn't so hard on your body and I was always hot even in the winter so it was nice to get in cold water. And I must say I was so proud of myself with doing those classes. For our final we had to swim a straight mile and I was 5 months pregnant with Caleb and was the second person in the class to finish! It was a very proud moment for me as a pregnant girl!
Did you swim 60 laps as in down is 1 back is 2 down is 3 back is four or did you go down and back as 1 lap and down and back again for a second lap?
And what you are doing on Tuesday around lunch time? Would you want to come over for lunch? I'm asking a couple of girls over to eat if you want to come. Let me know.
Erin P.
I swam the 60 laps as in down is one back is two. I'm not completely crazy. ;) I did it slow and easy and breathed practically every time it was my left arm's turn for a stroke. I did get a couple tiny breaks in the beginning because I had to adjust my goggles or cap. Towards the end I took a couple 30 sec breaks before deciding I had done enough and should finish up.
Erin - I'd love to come to lunch! But I work Tuesday, so if it got moved to Wednesday I could totally make it. :)
Post a Comment