I had a very frightful experience yesterday morning with a very ugly spider. I know it might seem a little over the top but I am terrified of spiders so this was very scary for me. The following is what I wrote to Ben on gmail chat while he was in class. At first I am venting about the spider just to the computer till eventually Ben comes online and writes back. It probably would have been entertaining to see me sitting in the middle of the floor in the living room with the laptop (that way I can notice better if any come towards me) constantly looking up at the kitchen door frame from the computer, then looking around me, back to the door frame, and back to the computer. It's a humorous read, everything my mind went through, and I thought everyone might enjoy it:
Ben are you there?
Ben are you there?
Please be there
I need help
There is a fat spider by the kitchen door
I need help calming down so I can kill it
It's HUGE!
I'm so scared
I don't want it to move
I can't stop watching it because then I wont know where it went to
I can't stop watching it because then I wont know where it went to
I hate spiders
I hate spiders
I hate spiders
I hate spiders
I hate spiders
why wont it just die
it's on the door frame
I'm afraid I wont kill it fast enough and it will fall
and crawl away super fast or worse crawl on me
and crawl away super fast or worse crawl on me
why wont it go out side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how do I kill it?
why am I so scared?
why did i have to find it
do you think it will be there after I shower?
oh why doesn't the internet work where you are?
not crying or breathing as hard now
maybe in 20 mins I can kill it
I hope
I just have to move the rug without him moving,
then kill him with a shoe
then kill him with a shoe
but first check the shoe for any possible spiders
check all shoes by door for spiders
inspect kitchen for spiders
oh be smart put on shoes so i can stomp it
if it does fall to the ground
if it does fall to the ground
How many are there? Are there more?
already freaked out and checked body for any
as well as immediate area
as well as immediate area
do you think if I open the door it will go outside
yea I don't think so either
why do they have to like heat
felt tingle on back had to check it out, all clear nothing there
I've been watching it for a while now it hasn't moved
but it looks like it's gotten fatter, weird huh?
but it looks like it's gotten fatter, weird huh?
Take that back IT JUST MOVED FURTHER DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agh!
I swear it's a little bit bigger than a half dollar
It's so fat and huge
I don't think I can kill it
I have to
oh why is this happening now?
why why why
why couldn't it happen when you are here to take care of it
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT HAS A FRIEND!!!!!!!
Now Had
I just killed the friend
I am freaking out!
the friend was a littler bigger than a penny
and it was crawling on the floor so I put on a shoe and killed it
and it was crawling on the floor so I put on a shoe and killed it
Yea for me!
the other one is so huge!!!!
I can't believe it's so big!
Why did it have to move so I can see it better?
Why did it have to move so I can see it better?
I'm going to take a picture
[We leave the running text now to show you the pictures taken.]
[The first is of the dead spider curled up a bit. The second is the huge one still alive. FREAKY!!!]


[back to the running text now]
[We leave the running text now to show you the pictures taken.]
[The first is of the dead spider curled up a bit. The second is the huge one still alive. FREAKY!!!]


[back to the running text now]
I'm going to die!
It's huge!
what can I do?
I'm scared it will crawl somewhere if I go take a shower.
It might find me again and in a way I don't want it to
oh I hate spiders
why why why why why why
[Ben comes online:]
Ben: lol
i'm sorry
did you kill it yet?
Catherine: hey you're here!
[In response to "Did you kill it yet?]:
nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get a shoe
and have at it
Catherine: yea but it's HUGE!
it's freaking scary
Ben: I'm sorry sweetie
take a deep breath, and knock its brains out ;)
I put on shoes thinking I can do this, then I get close and see how huge it is and start freaking out
Ben: I'm sorry sweetie
I wish I was there to help
I think it knows I'm watching it
[I made a trip into the kitchen to brave killing it again.]
it will be over in a few seconds
then you can be done with it
I'm with you in spirit
think of the alternative: you do nothing and it moves then you don't know where it is
[back from the kitchen]
Catherine: oh yea, easy
I was just in there to kill it
I moved the rug
I moved the trash can
I moved the shoes
and the friend I thought I killed came back to life!
Ben: oh no
did you kill it again?
Catherine: IT STARTED MOVING!
I killed it
Ben: good
oh why couldn't this have been just the small one!
I can handle that
Ben: just think of the fun story you'll have :)
Catherine: oh what if it is a jumping spider
what if it jumps at me
Ben: it is not a jumping spider, don't worry
Catherine: I just went to try again and had that thought
how do you know?
it has ugly markings
it has ugly markings
just kill it
kill it
Catherine: put me out of mine
Ben: you can do it sweetie
I have trust in you
Catherine: I did it!
I did it!
I did it!
I'm freaking out majorly
Ben: yes
yes
yes
you da woman
Catherine: it stuck to the shoe
Ben: i owe you ice cream :)
haha
Catherine: then fell when I dropped the shoe
it looks pretty squished I have to go squish it more
Ben: k
go do that
I'm proud of you :)
Catherine: oh gross a leg fell off
Ben: lol
you got it good
Catherine: i'm so scared
Ben: i'm sorry sweetie
i hate to remind you, but you need to shower
Catherine: yea I'm going
after I inspect the bathroom and tub and curtain
Ben: lol
love you sweetie; i'm really proud of you
Catherine: thanks i love you too
thanks for the help
;)
[The End]
This whole ordeal took 45min for me to get up the courage to kill the spider. I was terrified the whole time, even after it was dead, and have been on spider alert the rest of the day and this morning.
;)
[The End]
This whole ordeal took 45min for me to get up the courage to kill the spider. I was terrified the whole time, even after it was dead, and have been on spider alert the rest of the day and this morning.

6 comments:
Oh my GOSH! I'm pretty sure that is Humphrey from MY scary spider story! Humphrey was worst-case-scenario,though. I saw him and went to get something to kill him and when I got back he was GONE! I was scared for DAYS. I do recommend keeping bug-killing-spray on hand, though. I see a spider, I spray from a distance and leave the body for Greg to pick up later. If it is in the way, I put a shoe on top of the body once it is VERY dead. At least you have a nice husband to support you. Sometimes greg won't kill the spiders for me EVEN IF HE'S HOME! He thinks I'm being wussy. He doesn't understand the paralyzing fear. Apparently you do. I SO get it.
Thanks Alyssa for understanding. I did leave the bodies for Ben to pick up later. I used the front door the rest of the day because of it. Bug spray is a great idea! Thanks! Wish I would have had that on hand for this guy.
You da woman, Catherine. I was just like you before I had kids. Then I was bound and determined that I wouldn't make my kids be afraid of spiders so when they were around I would assume another persona and indifferently smoosh any spied spider. On a particularly brave day (when I was really in character) I would say things like, "Oh you poor spider! Let's take you outside!" or "Hey, you don't pay rent!" then kill it or take it outside. It was the same way with frogs or lizards. My boys would bring them to me and I'd say "Oh, cool!" while inside I was shaking like a leaf. I wonder if they ever realized I NEVER touched anything, or offered to hold them. How about it, Ben? Did you know I hate spiders?
I was very proud of Catherine in being so tough while I was in school.
And Mom, I had no idea you were scared of things that crawl, creep, or slither. You were a great actress!
Oh Catherine that was a hilarious post. The whole time I was reading it I was picturing me writting it to Donny. I even felt thechills up my spine. I HATE SPIDERS! agh... Donny kills the spiders in my home too. I fear that one day i'm gonna be pulling things out of Tylers mouth that he is eating, and it will be a spider. Ahhhh... Could you even imagine? I need to invest in some ofthat spray too. I'm glad i'm not the only one scared to death of spiders. I'm glad you survived and i'm glad to have your blog now!! YIPEE!
Hey Catherine,
I am glad I found your blog if you don't mind me reading it. I actually found your blog through my iamfrugal.blogspot.com sitemeter! I love that thing.
I am so proud of you for killing that spider. I always make john do it. Men should have to do that thing, its in the rules after you get married. I'm glad you got brave enough and did it yourself. What a woman!!
If you ever get bored you can take a look at our family blog. Its pettingillspage.blogspot.com
Erin
Post a Comment