Ok, so we are not considering becoming British subjects (I somewhat echo Margaret Fuller's statement that "an American in Europe, if a thinking man, only becomes more American"), but we are in the tough situation of choosing where to live next year. Here are our two options:
1. Cambridge, UK. I've been admitted to the University of Cambridge's MPhil Program in Political Thought and Intellectual History, with an option to stay for a PhD (as long as I don't prove myself as a dunce). The following is a list of pros and cons.
- Pro: I'd get to study at a world-leading institution. According to varying lists, Cambridge is listed as either the #1 or #2 university in the world, and in the top 5 for history faculties.
- Con: Their faculty does not perfectly match my interests. While they are the top program in intellectual history, they focus more on British thought and the early-Modern period (17th and early 18th centuries), while I am more a mixture of American and British thought and a little later period (late 18th and 19th centuries). They definitely overlap enough to work, but it is not ideal.
- Pro: The MPhil program is only 1 year, and the PhD program is only 3 more. Thus, I can get another masters degree plus my doctorate in less time than most US PhD programs.
- Con: This comes at the expense of less coursework and no teaching experience--two crucial elements for when I am applying to US teaching jobs.
- Pro: I would be able to apply to a few of my dream US PhD institutions again this Fall (Harvard, Penn, etc.). Hopefully, I would have better luck this year since I would have my Edinburgh degree completed, a (hopefully) better GRE score, and I'll be enrolled at Cambridge. And, if I don't get in next year, the fall-back would be to stay at Cambridge (not a bad safety option).
- Con: That means our life would still be somewhat up in the air--I'm getting a little tired of that.
- Pro: An absolutely BEAUTIFUL campus. I mean, everyone I talk to says that it is the most scenic place to live in the UK. And, to tell the truth, I've become aesthetically spoiled after living in Edinburgh for a year.
- Con: We would be a long ways from our families--no bueno.
1. Boston, MA. I've also been admitted to Boston University's PhD Program in History.
- Pro: Boston University is a well-respected institution with a faculty that matches my interests well. My potential advisor is the top scholar in the field I want to study, and the book he is currently working on is closely related to my dissertation project.
- Con: While it is a well-respected school, it is not as respected as Cambridge (or some of the other schools I could apply to in the Fall).
- Pro: The Boston area is the ideal place for me to perform my dissertation studies; all the relevant archival collections are near-by, and I would never have to travel far for research.
- Con: The Boston area is the worst place to live on a small student budget. Ok, perhaps there are a few worse places (NY, Bay Area, LA, etc.), but not many.
- Pro: I have always dreamed of living in the Boston area: the history, the intellectual atmosphere, the friends--you just can't go wrong.
- Con: Due to high prices, I'll likely be spending a lot of time traveling from wherever we are living into the city, and thereby losing precious time researching/spending time with family.
Of course, much of the decision will come down to funding. Both schools have been mum to this point, but said that funding decisions will be made in the next few weeks.
But, with all things being equal, what do you suggest?

10 comments:
Ben, even with the prestige Cambridge has to offer, it cannot compare to a couple of things you mentioned: your potential advisor in Boston is the top. Undoubtedly this is a primary concern for your field. research will be easier and more relevant in your general surroundings in Boston than Cambridge. Beauty is nice, but relevance is the key term here. While the cost is prohibitive in Boston, there are always ways to get around that - funding from the school can be negotiated since you have acceptances from multiple prestigious places, AND with diligent scouring of the area (which indeed takes time and perhaps enlisting family and friends to help) while you are overseas) you can always turn up the gem of a place that is perfect for your needs and your pocket book.
Boston seems to come out hands down in practicality and relevance to your studies.
Good luck - tough decision to make, but you will make the right one for you and your family.
Boston, hands down. Living as students in Hawaii has been very expensive...but they've made do. If it's what and where you're supposed to be you'll be fine.
My niece has been living in that area for a few years...the education available just in being there is amazing - so much history. There's my vote cast.
Add to pros for Boston: Sunday dinners at Kristine's.
You know you really want Boston, Benji. It's all you've ever talked about. Just do it. The cons do not outweigh how much you know you want it.
I say UK. But what do I know I am 57 and talk to my grandkids about Harry Potter movies.
I really do not know enough about your professsion to give you very good advice, but I do know one thing. Although where you go to school is important, what you do while you are there is MORE important (papers, presentations, etc.) If you make a breakthrough it does not matter whether you are at Harvard, or a lesser known school. Plus, who needs a second masters? It sounds to me like staying in the UK for just a masters is a waste of time and money. If you decide to stay in the UK, you might as well just do the PhD.
Well, anyway, good luck deciding. I am sure that whatever you choose will be the best decision.
I vote for Cambridge, if I get a vote. Cambridge always looks better on a C.V. but be warned Americans there can be an element of culture shock involved in studying in the older UK Uni's. By that I mean British people are weird, bless 'em, and in Cambridge you meet really clever industrious weirdos
http://babylon.acad.cai.cam.ac.uk/college/past/legend/index.php
FIRST of all, CONGRATS!!!! You got accepted into two incredible programs! (Not that I'm surprised...)
But BOY do I feel your pain. Luckily for me, I only have to worry about myself... but I totally understand your dilemma. But you already know what you WANT to do. It's a lot of investment--time, money, energy, brain power. So do what you WANT. Also, several of my professors have all been telling me the same things recently: With higher degrees from foreign universities, you are less likely to be chosen for competitive job positions. Apparently Americans are the snobs when it comes to higher education. haha I have also been advised that though Cambridge and Oxford and other such places in the UK sound prestigious, that with the UK funding crisis they are letting in almost all foreign students because they need the money, and therefore it is losing some of its prestige in the eyes of American scholars. So you've probably been told all of these things before. BUT, if my two cents counts for anything, I'd say you already know what you want to do and it will be well worth the investment. Go Big or go home, Benji!
All the best with the choice, Ben. I think a lot of the decision comes down to which dept. and advisor (s) will be most helpful. But the prestige of the institution is important.
Russ (Blogger Next Blog) PhD cand. (Theology and Philosophy of Religion), Wales, Trinity Saint David (Lampeter) MPhil, Wales, Bangor
I am just waiting for my final PhD pass in the mail, post viva and final revisions.
I saw that poll near the top of your page while surfing random blogs and decided to read on. I don't know much about either school or your area of study, but I would have to say Cambridge.
This may be a conflict of interest, because Cambridge is my first name.
Post a Comment