While Ben was in finding neat things at the Beinecke Library I got to walk around New Haven and the Yale campus. I even got to go on a tour and see the inside of a few buildings. What a neat place!
From New Haven we drove up to Lexington and Concord. We saw Waldon Pond (even went wading in it), Emerson's House, the Sleepy Hallow Cemetery, the Minute Man Statute where "the shot heard round the world" was fired, and some very old but nicely kept houses (the oldest was built in 1658 if I remember correctly).
We finally made it back to Boston. We met with one professor who is very nice and helpful at Boston University and a few other people there to get info on getting in and what programs they have to help grad students with funding. Unfortunately the professor that Ben wants to study under confused his calenders and didn't make our appointment. But hopefully Ben will get to know him next fall. After our morning of checking out BU we went and walked the freedom trail. It was so fun to see and read about all that history.
The next day we got to spend the morning in Salem. The Salem Witch Museum was a lot of fun. It took us through the whole build up and happenings of the Witch Trials and then told us the story of witches and how they developed. Celtic midwives that knew herbs and such had their religion that worshiped mother earth. The Catholic Church moved into the land, over time gained influence, and got scared of the midwives influence so they deemed them witches and murdered them. The idea of a witch went from witches who looked like everyone else to the Wizard of OZ witch to now a mix of both thanks to Bewitched and Harry Potter. The green face witch will probably never leave as long as there is Halloween. Bless her heart. We also got to learn about Wiccans. Wicca is a nature based religion and for most Wiccans, a duotheistic religion worshiping a God and Goddess.
After Salem we had to head to the airport where we had an adventure. We forgot the holder for our GPS in the rental car so I went back on the shuttle to get it while Ben checked our bag. I got to the airport just in time to make our flight but we ran into a glitch because Ben's drivers licence had gone missing since checking the bag. They couldn't find it at the counter and we didn't see it anywhere else. So Ben tried to use his Library of Congress card, which is government issued, to get through security. They of course weren't used to that so they ran it up stairs to the boss to check it out. So Ben made it through security with a combination of his Library of Congress card, his Social Security card and a credit card just in time to miss our flight. Bummer. Luckily there was another flight we could go on that would get us to Chicago in just enough time to catch our connection flight home. Yeah!
Well, there you have it folks. So went the Park adventure in New England.

1 comment:
One wild and crazy trip, whewweeee. Anyway I just wanted to comment about the Joseph Smith that might have been a double in PA. From my memory, the deeds we found to that other Joseph Smith date before 1810 AT LEAST...I'm thinking it was more like the 1790s. And I know that there is no J.S. other than "our" J.S. on any Tax/Census records in the area at the same time. So...yes, that's way exciting. I'd love to read what the letter says.
Aaaaaaaaand I'm thinking that the professor you missed was Dr. Capper? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. You'll get to know him well in the Fall hopefully, right? Who was the other professor that helped you?
Okay, back to Oregon-things.
Heidi
Post a Comment