Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, February 9, 2009

The (In?)Famous Darwin

Across America this week, many institutions are celebrating the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin and the 150th anniversary of the publication of his Origin of Species. Whether you agree with his theories or not, Darwin's arguments have done more to influence Western thought than any other book not named the Bible. Some have claimed that all scientific and religious discourse for the next century was at least in indirect conversation with Darwinism. Even outside science and theology, community theory was drastically shaped by "social darwinism," as the ideology came to be known as. Especially for me as an intellectual historian, Darwin's imprint on human thought cannot be understated.

Unfortunately in Christian (and especially Mormon) circles, we are often quick to dismiss his theories as heretical. Even today in BYU's Daily Universe, a ridiculous letter to the editor from a student dismisses Darwinism outright and questions any member's attempt to merge theology and science as "the philosophies of men mingled with scripture." However, I believe religion and science can live together peacefully. I especially believe that Mormon theology can be reconciled with evolution better than any other Christian thought I know (though I am biased...). Truth has no need to fear science, and the God I believe in is someone who both understands and uses natural laws to his (and our) advantage. I know this phrase is cliche, but I believe true religion and true science are not contradictory, and God expects us to use our divinely-given reason and scientific tools to explore and explain this beautiful world he has given us stewardship over.

Catherine and I are trying our best to make the most of Darwin's birthday. BYU is doing a Darwin Week on campus, with many fascinating lectures and events. For FHE, we are reading Origin of Species and then discussing how it relates to our faith. When I get some free time, I hope to read a couple books on Darwin and how Darwinism has influenced America.

I hope everyone takes advantage of this year's milestone to learn more about Darwin and allow it to engage your own religious ideology. As John Stuart Mill has persuasively argued, it is only through challenging your own thought that true ideas are developed, discovered, or confirmed. The gospel has no need to fear true science; conversely, we are expected to grow in truth and knowledge and learn things about "the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must come to pass" (D&C 88:79). Understanding Darwin helps us accomplish that.

1 comment:

DeFreese said...

hey ben! i saw you had a blog on facebook! looks like you guys are doing great and congrats on the baby! come visit my blog some time :)