Wednesday we took Spencer to the MTC. It got me thinking about my mission and how lucky Spencer is to being doing this, in his life, at this time. I'm so excited for him! For those who don't know, Spencer was called to serve in the Hartford, Connecticut Mission which covers Connecticut and Rhode Island. Being on a mission is such a great opportunity; Spencer is in for the time of his life!
Being in the MTC and remembering my mission made me just want to do it again. I know so much more now. I wouldn't be so new trying to figure out how to do things best; I could just do it. They say hindsight is 20/20. (I think sometimes its 20/10) But it’s true! I feel I would be a much more effective missionary now than I was at the time because I have the experience. I was sitting there watching the movie before we had to let Spencer go and kept thinking how great a mission is and was feeling so excited for Spencer, sad to let him go but excited for him. (It was a bunch of emotions crammed together because I was sad, but I was also so overwhelmingly excited for him!) At that time I had such a desire to do it again. I just kept thinking how great it would be to serve again. (Of course Ben could stay my companion. ;))
After all this reminising, I had a realization and remembered something that Elder Bednar said to our mission about a month before I went home. He told us all to go back from our mission but to "never go home". He's right; we should live better now because of the experience we've had. We know how to live to be prepared to share and to have the spirit. We should always be missionaries looking to share the gospel in what ever we do. So, I don't need to go on another mission to have some of the same experiences serving Heavenly Father. I can be one awesome member here. I did, after all, gain a huge testimony on my mission of members being the actual missionaries and how they can make or break the deal.
I'm in California right now, as Ben said (I will post the van saga when I can download the pictures Wednesday), and was able to attend the ward I grew up in this morning. In Relief Society our lesson was on testimony and the Holy Ghost. So many sisters talked about their experiences and knowing the gospel is true. Most are converts and it's so fun to hear their stories of dealing with kids, neighbors, family, and friends when discussing the church and their lives. It really opened my eyes as to how much I miss having opportunities to share the gospel out in Utah. I was used to sharing the gospel with my co-workers and friends at school but in Utah they are all members. I do get to talk about it with the 18 year olds at work that have questions and are members, so that’s nice. There are some nice aspects of being around so many members but I think I'll be glad for the challenge of sharing and defending the gospel when we live in Boston. (I'll probably be singing a different tune when we are there, though. ;) Just kidding.)
Well that’s my thoughts for the week on missionary work: live like you are on a mission so you have the spirit and are ready, look for opportunities, and last but not least act.

No comments:
Post a Comment