Today after standing in line for 40 minutes we were able to vote! It was the first time voting in Utah for both of us and Ben's first time using a machine. It had been a while for me also. We were absentee voters before because of missions and being away at school. Most everything we had to vote on was a no-brainer choice except for POTUS.
Ben has known who he was voting for since the primaries. I, on the other hand, never liked anyone. There were times where I'd think "Oh, I like that and that" but then there was always "this and that" that I didn't like about each candidate. I kept my eye on the big guys in the primaries to see where they stood and who they were when it came down to McCain and Obama. (Funny sidenote here: I was so upset when Republicans were bullied by other Republicans to have McCain on the ticket because they got to vote first, that I threatened to vote for Hillary over McCain. Even though it was an empty threat because I knew I would have to weigh both canidates and decide, I said it to Ben becasue I really did not like McCain.) It was hard to choose between McCain and Obama I was such a flopper because they both had good things (they can't be all bad) but they had platfoms I didn't like also. I really wanted some third guy to show up and save the day but seeing as that would not happen I had to make a decision. I watched the debates, did research on claims made about both sides, researched their plans (niether is close to my ideals but then both agree on what would have been "deal breakers" for me), tried to figure out their principles and who could actually do well as President and what they could do ie:what they could and couldn't get passed through congress (POTUS doesn't have as much control as we try to say, Congress has more power in many reguards), and finally made my decision. Of course I had been praying about it and I feel really good about my decision. It's so nice to feel peace inside now when I think about this issue. Others may feel good about the other guy and that is wonderful, we each have different priorities for our different situations.
It was fun and a great privilege
to vote this election.
This is my reminder to all:
Don't forget to vote Tuesday!
And a plug for the CA peeps: Vote yes on prop 8!
Ben has known who he was voting for since the primaries. I, on the other hand, never liked anyone. There were times where I'd think "Oh, I like that and that" but then there was always "this and that" that I didn't like about each candidate. I kept my eye on the big guys in the primaries to see where they stood and who they were when it came down to McCain and Obama. (Funny sidenote here: I was so upset when Republicans were bullied by other Republicans to have McCain on the ticket because they got to vote first, that I threatened to vote for Hillary over McCain. Even though it was an empty threat because I knew I would have to weigh both canidates and decide, I said it to Ben becasue I really did not like McCain.) It was hard to choose between McCain and Obama I was such a flopper because they both had good things (they can't be all bad) but they had platfoms I didn't like also. I really wanted some third guy to show up and save the day but seeing as that would not happen I had to make a decision. I watched the debates, did research on claims made about both sides, researched their plans (niether is close to my ideals but then both agree on what would have been "deal breakers" for me), tried to figure out their principles and who could actually do well as President and what they could do ie:what they could and couldn't get passed through congress (POTUS doesn't have as much control as we try to say, Congress has more power in many reguards), and finally made my decision. Of course I had been praying about it and I feel really good about my decision. It's so nice to feel peace inside now when I think about this issue. Others may feel good about the other guy and that is wonderful, we each have different priorities for our different situations.
It was fun and a great privilege
to vote this election.
This is my reminder to all:
Don't forget to vote Tuesday!
And a plug for the CA peeps: Vote yes on prop 8!

No comments:
Post a Comment